Questions and Answers

Can I look for my own accommodation?

To get accommodation you can either:

  • find private accommodation for which you will pay rent to a private landlord
  • apply for social housing from the local authority or

You have an unlimited right to rent if you:

  • Are a British citizen
  • Are a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen
  • Have a permanent right to live in the UK, e.g. you have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK.

Know your rights – by Migrants’ Right Network

How can I find a house?

Private: Estate Agents and other online property search engines.


Applicants will need to go through an assessment with Coventry City Council before getting registration details for the website.

Housing – Know your rights by MiFriendly Cities 

Where can I get support / advice?

EU migrants are not entitled to benefits until they have been in the UK for three months

Housing Rights Information

Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre